Cheap car rental in New Zealand (South/North Island)
Rent a car in New Zealand and explore North Island, South Island, or both in a multi-island car rental. Conduct a search on VIPCars and find deals at the cheapest possible rate from top suppliers like Thrifty car rentals and reserve it within a few minutes.
With VIPcars, you can rent a car online in three easy steps - search, compare and book. Our booking support team can also help you in making the reservations through our - live chat feature
Why rent a car in New Zealand
- New Zealand is an island country located in the southwestern Pacific Ocean and comprises of spectacular and diverse natural beauty - spiky mountains, pristine trout-filled lakes, beautiful beaches, and active volcanic zones. All of which are located far apart from each other!
- With so much to cover, a car rental is the best way to cover New Zealand and its many attractions and gems. Experienced travelers have been doing it for years. It is also advised that you should make your car rental booking for NZ in advance for bigger savings; so book today, save big and have a great traveling experience in NZ!
|Car rental deal-types for NZ||Long term, monthly, weekly, weekend & one-day rentals|
|Most popular rental car-types||Vans, economy, minivans, SUVs & luxury cars|
Car Rental Companies in New Zealand
VIP Cars has tie-ups with some of the best car rental companies in New Zealand. Hence no matter if you are a business traveler looking for a luxury car, an adventurer pinning for an SUV, or a road trip fanatic searching a minivan or a 4x4 for some off-road adventure, with VIPCars you can choose from a variety of vehicle types.
All this variety is because of the following car rental companies that also offer a great network of pickup and drop off locations in NZ, giving you enough to choose from:
- Jucy Rentals
- Go Rentals
- Ace Rental Cars
Car-types available - for hire in New Zealand
VIP Cars is partnered with some of the best car rental companies in New Zealand. Hence no matter if you are a business traveler looking for a luxury car, an adventurer pinning for an SUV, or a road trip fanatic searching a minivan or a 4x4 for some off-road adventure, with VIPCars you can choose from a variety of car categories.
All this variety is because of the following car rental brands that also offer a great network of pickup and drop off locations in NZ, giving you enough to choose from :
A multi-people carrier, it can seat 5 to 9 people and hence comes with even more luggage space and more amenities.
If you are traveling with equipment for Ski or other gear for some adventure on a beach or a national park, an SUV comes highly recommended.
Meant for 6 adults, a luxury car allows a luggage space that can accommodate 4 large and 3 small suitcases or in some cases 3 large & 2 small suitcases.
A convertible is best for coastal drives!! Best for a family of 4, a convertible allows a luggage space for about 2 small suitcases.
Tips for renting a car in New Zealand
Struggling with questions like 'What do I need to hire a car in New Zealand?’ here we are covering some basic essentials that every renter – no matter the nationality – will need to possess to successfully rent a car in New Zealand.
The minimum age to rent a car in New Zealand is 21 and above. Some suppliers may charge extra for drivers under 25 .
- Travelers who are visiting NZ from US/Aus, for less than a year are allowed to drive on their native DLs. After a year you will need to procure a license issued by the NZ government to keep driving on the country roads.
- Only a driver’s licence printed in English is accepted; incase you have a different language on the license an accurate translation must be provided.
- Also, the renter's driver’s license should be as per the vehicle category they are hiring.
- Most of the suppliers only allow you to rent a car if you have an active credit card. It should be issued in your name.
- Though credit card is a mandatory document that almost every supplier asks for, if you don’t have a credit card, have a word with the supplier about payments through debit cards or cash.
- A credit card also comes handy because some companies also provide vehicle insurance extendable to rentals, which is quite helpful in case you don’t have auto insurance.
Car hire pickup & drop-off locations in New Zealand
New Zealand - 'Home to Middle Earth’ as the Lord-of-the-Ring-fanatics call it - is truly magnificent. Whether it is North Island or South Island, the wide network that VIPcars.com offers, lets you pickup a vehicle almost anywhere in the country. Make one-way trips and return the vehicle in a completely new place.
The following are the most popular rental desk locations in NZ . (The full list of the car rental locations can be accessed on our search form):
One-way car rentals Cross-Country Travel
and Multi-Island Rentals
With VIPCars, one-way car rental in New Zealand is possible, and they are not just restricted to one Island - you can request the pickup in North Island and can return the car in South Island or vice versa.
Our New Zealand car rental suppliers only allow domestic one-way & multi-island rentals. A couple of rental car suppliers allow you to transport the vehicle via ferries as well. Read the T&C.
Major attractions in New Zealand: Explore
NZ in a Rental Car
The Mackenzie Country
The Mackenzie Country - its snow-capped jagged peaks as a backdrop to turquoise lakes has been providing the inspiration for numerous postcards.
Aoraki Mount Cook
Aoraki Mount Cook is the country's highest peak. Another region where mountain encounters water with striking effect is Fiordland National Park.
Some basic driving tips for New Zealand
You must drive on the left side of the road, and overtake on the right.
Mobile phones while Driving your Car in NZ
Using mobile while driving is an offense in NZ, you will have to park your car somewhere to do so.
Driving a rental car during winters in NZ
Snow and ice make roads slippery, so make sure that you have proper snow chains for your travels. You can request it at the time of car rental booking.
Wear a Seat-belt at all times
A gentle reminder, do wear a seatbelt for your own safety and use proper restraint systems for children and toddlers.
Speed limits while driving in New Zealand
Look out for the speed limit signs on the sides of the roads; these signs usually have a red ring in which the speed limit is written. Also, take note that in NZ Speed limit is measured in km/hr.
The accepted blood alcohol rate per liter of breath is 250 micrograms for adults of 20+ age.