Car rental in South Africa
Discover the picture-perfect locations in South Africa with a budget-friendly car rental. Affordable car hire deals for South Africa are now within your reach with VIPCars.com! Renting a car in South Africa gives you the utmost comfort of planning your trip on your own terms & schedule. Be it an excursion trip, some famous game reserve, or a day trip to a bustling metropolitan or beach area, using a rental car stands heads and shoulders above other alternate commuting options. Long-term, weekly, one day, monthly or last minute rentals, through VIP Cars, you get access to a big list of rental deal-types that gives you the freedom to book a deal as per your travel dates (whether it is a day or months!).
- South Africans call traffic lights 'robots’ like in most of Africa.
- If you are visiting SA in summers, make sure that your rental car has air-conditioning.
- You will find many people in SA which call themselves car-guards, and though they can be helpful, keep in mind that they are not regulated by the government, so be careful.
Our top car rental partner companies in South Africa
Working with well-established car rental brands in South Africa, we offer the best deals at the lowest prices. In SA, we work with:
- First Car Rental
Best type of car to rent in South Africa
On our booking engine you can expect to find all from 4x4s to luxury cars, economy cars, compacts, convertibles and minivans; all available at a range of prices, thanks to our partners! While compacts and sedans are apt for travelers who plan to keep their trips restricted to city areas, convertibles are best for coastal drives and so on. Big group can rent 7, 9, and 12 passenger vans or minivans on our website.
Driving Rules in South Africa
- Wearing seatbelts is mandatory.
- Traffic moves on the left-hand-side of the road in South Africa.
- Drunken driving and mobile phone usage while driving is prohibited.
- VIP Cars recommends reviewing of basic driving rules before you drive out in South Africa in your hired car.
- While the speed limit for the major highway is 75mph, it varies from 35mph-60mph for residential areas and rural roads.
Car rental locations in South Africa
- Capetown Airport
- O. R. Tambo Airport
- Durban King Shaka Airport
- Port Elizabeth Airport
- George Airport
Explore South Africa in a rental car
Spread across a massive landmass covering southernmost Africa, the Republic of South Africa is famous for its splendid coastline. Besides a diverse geography, the country is known for its remarkable Big Five: Rhino, African Elephant, Cape Buffalo, Leopard, and Lion.
Explore the world-famous game reserves or biological preserves, including the Kruger National Park, or drive to any of the famous tourism hotspots like Cape Town, Durban, and Johannesburg. Other worth mentioning tourist places include –
- Ballito Bay
Frequently asked questions
What do you need to rent a car in South Africa?
To rent a car in South Africa, you, as a main driver, need a driver’s license, a credit card and identity proof. All the documents needed at the time of car hire pickup are listed by the supplier on the rental voucher.
How old to rent a car in South Africa?
To rent a car in South Africa, you must be at least 21 years of age, however, the minimum car hire age varies from supplier to supplier as per the car-type you are booking.
How much does it cost to rent a car in South Africa?
The cost of the rental car deal depends on various factors like the car-type you are renting and the location where you are going to pick the vehicle. For cheaper rates and wider variety, book early, and concentrate on deals that come with unlimited miles and full-to-full fuel policy.