Rent a Car at Chiang Mai Airport (CNX) at the cheapest possible rates!
Book a cheap Chiang Mai Airport car rental with VIP Cars, and explore Thailand on your own schedule & pace!! Whether you want to do a road-trip like Mae Hong Son Loop or just want to cover Chiang Mai’s attractions – Doi Suthep, Wat Lok Moli, or Tribal Museum, a car rental is certainly what you need as your companion if you want to have the time of your life!
Renting a car at Chiang Mai Airport – or city center – with VIPCars is very easy; our booking engine saves you a lot of time and money as it allows you to compare deals offered by several of our partners at one place. So, make your trip from Chiang Mai Airport (CNX) easy by renting a cheap car from VIPCars! Book today, and take home the cheapest deal!
Suppliers that Offer Car Rental Deals for Chiang Mai Airport (CNX)
VIPCars works with some of the best car rental brands in Thailand; the suppliers which provide Chiang Mai Airport car rental deals are listed as under:
- Thai Rent A Car
Out of these suppliers, Thai Rent a Car and Hertz have car rental desks at the airport, others provide 'meet and greet’ service.
Car Categories that you can Rent for Chiang Mai Airport
Whether visiting Chiang Mai on a business trip or on a vacation, with VIPCars you can get the car as per your budget, preference and space needs. Here is a list of car categories that our suppliers tend to offer for Chiang Mai region:
This is a tentative list and can change as per the availability on the supplier’s end.
How to get a quote for CNX car rental?
- You can get a car rental quote for Chiang Mai Airport (CNX) by either filling our search form at vipcars.com, or
- By completing our contact form or by calling our booking support team at our given helpline numbers.
Places in the City where you can return
your Chiang Mai Airport Car Rental
Though almost all of our suppliers allow 24 hr drop-off service at Chiang Mai Airport, in case you want to drop the car rental somewhere else in Chiang Mai, then the only option is Chiang Mai Downtown.
All the information like the drop-off address, the working hours of the supplier’s branch at Chiang Mai Downtown etc will be provided by the supplier through the rental voucher that you will receive along with the confirmation email.
Depending on what you might need to make your travelling in the rental car convenient, different suppliers offer different extras that you can add to your deal by paying a small per-day rate. Here are a few common extras that most of our Chiang Mai Airport car hire suppliers offer:
- Baby Seat
- Navigation System - GPS
- Additional Drivers
Inclusions Offered by Our Chiang Mai Airport Car Rental Suppliers
Almost all of our Chiang Mai Airport car rental deals come with inclusions which are offered by our associates as the part of the deal; for them, you will not have to pay anything extra later on. Some of the most common inclusions that are offered by our suppliers are given below:
- Unlimited Mileage
- Additional Driver
- Airport Surcharge
- Theft Waiver (THW)
- Collision Damage Waiver (CDW)
Every supplier offers different inclusions and it is not a compulsion that the above-mentioned ones will be covered by each and every supplier.
Domestic and International One-way car rental
from Chiang Mai Airport
Renting a car at Chiang Mai Airport and dropping it somewhere in Thailand is possible with VIPCars.com. You can opt for the one-way option by using the 'different drop-off location’ section on our search form; however, note that for that you will have to pay the one-way fee.
And, since cross border travel is not allowed by our suppliers, international one-way car rental option is not possible; for more information, you can contact our booking support.
Chiang Mai Airport (CNX) – Overview
Formerly known as Suthep Airport, CNX is an international airport which serves the city of Chiang Mai, Thailand. One of the major gateways to the Northern Thailand, Chiang Mai airport is the fourth busiest airports in the country. It is used by a number of airlines like Air Asia, Air China, Air KBZ, Bangkok Airways, Bangkok Airways and Beijing Capital Airlines and is a hub for Thai Air Asia, Bangkok Airways, Kan Air, Nok Air and Thai Airways.
60 Mahidol Rd, Tambon Su Thep, Chiang Mai 50200, Thailand
- IATA Airport Code:
- ICAO Airport Code:
Facilities Available at Chiang Mai Airport (CNX)
Banks & Currency Exchange
International passengers at Chiang Mai Airport can get their native currencies exchanged at a fair rate via one of the following banks:
- Kasikorn Bank and Siam Commercial bank (location: Domestic terminal’s departure area)
- Bangkok Bank, SCB Money Counter, and Krung Thai Bank (location: International Terminals)
- SCB Money Counter (Entrance gate, International Terminal pt 1)
Lounges at CNX Airport
Since the airlines also have their lounges within the airport, the lounges at CNX include Thai Airways Royal Orchid Lounge, Thai Airways Royal Silk Lounge, Bangkok Airways Lounge and the Coral Executive Lounge.
AOT also offers Free Wifi at Chiang Mai Airport via TrueMove H Enable wireless network connection. Just select the “.@ AirportTrueFreeWiFi” network from the existing networks, and open your browser.
Driving Lane and Other Useful Driving Info
- Driving Lane: In Thailand, driving is permitted on the left side of the road while the driver's seat is on the right-side of the car. So, be careful if you belong to a country where people drive on the right.
- Tailgating: Tailgating is a common place thing in Thailand! You will often see drivers’ making cuts into lines of cars, so be mentally prepared while driving a car in Thailand.
- Drinking & Driving: Drunk Driving is illegal in Thailand; the legal blood-alcohol limit is 0.5 grams per liter of blood, but if your driving experience is less than 5 years, the legal limit is 0.2 grams/ liter of blood.
- Seat Belts: In a moving vehicle, all the passengers need to wear their seat belts, and the children below 12 years should be seated in the back seats in a proper restraint system.
- Using Mobile while Driving: Talking on a phone without a handset is a big offense while driving; failure to adhere can lead to on the spot fines.
Age Requirements for renting a car at Chiang Mai Airport, Thailand
The minimum age to rent a car in Thailand is 21 years but it is just a generalization for most of the suppliers put forth their own minimum age requirements. Also, some suppliers only allow those travelers to rent who have at least 1-year driving experience.
It has also been seen that with some suppliers 25 years is the minimum age, and all the renters who fall between 21-25 years pay a surcharge for their lack of driving experience.
License Requirements for renting a car at Chiang Mai Airport, Thailand
All the drivers having a valid driving license can easily rent a car in Thailand; an International Driver’s Permit is only needed if you are staying in Thailand for more than 6 months. Therefore people on business or vacation trips will only need their home country’s driver’s license provided it is in English, but if it is not in English you will need to get an IDP. This is so because, in the case of an accident, the police will ask for an IDP so that they can use its English translation to write their report.
Because of these reasons, it is advised that you should apply for an IDP license before leaving for your vacation in Thailand despite that fact that you will only need it if you do something that requires police intervention.
Documents to Keep at Hand While Driving in Thailand
Always keep your driving license, passport, ID and car rental documents in your vehicle, so that you can show them in case an officer stops you for checking.
If you fail to show the mandatory documents, you will be fined, and your license will be confiscated, and then you will have to visit the nearest police station to pay the fines and get back your license.
Suggested Road Trip: Mae Hong Son Loop by Car
The Mae Hong Son loop is one of the most loved road trips in Thailand!! If you have a few days to spare and want to explore the Chiang Mai region, Mae Hong Son Loop is definitely one of the best ways to do that! Here is a sample itinerary that you can use while covering the Mae Hong Son loop in your CNX car rental.
Not part of the traditional loop, Chiang Dao, known for hosting the Japanese Shambhala in Your Heart Festival, and caves, will make for a great start to your Mae Hong Son Loop itinerary!!
Things to Do in Chiang Dao
- Bamboo rafting on the Ping River
- Wang Hai whiskey raft (March through May only)
- Visit the Tha Pha Plong Temple
- Go up the Chiang Dao Mountain
- If possible do visit a hill tribe village
- Pha Daeng National Park
Best known for trekking, rafting, and a great live music scene, Pai, located in the lap of the valley, offers a bevy of places where you can stay, eat and have fun!
Things to do in Pai
- Pai Grand Canyon is a must, especially if you are a sunset lover! You can reach the Pai canyon either by trekking or by car, whatever you feel like. But one thing is a sure shot, watching the sunset sitting at a height of 100ft with other travelers will remain as one of your most remarkable travel moments!!
- Other best thing about Pai is its Waterfalls! One of the most popular is the Mor Paeng Waterfall which is famous among both the locals and the tourists. However, if you want to visit the waterfalls which are not that touristy, either visit this one early or head towards the Mae Yen Waterfall. The latter one is for the adventurer sorts; to reach it you will have to endure a long hike through the jungles of Pai.
Just like Pai, Mae Hong Son is known for its trekking and rafting venues, but since it is a tourist town out and out, no doubt there is enough to keep you occupied. And just like Pai, it offers numerous opportunities to explore its natural beauty!
Things to do in Mae Hong Son
- Wat Phra That Doi Kong Mu, the province's oldest landmark is the temple you should definitely see while visiting Mae Hong Son. Located on the top of Kong Mu Hill, the temple offers amazing views of the entire valley!! There is also a coffee shop which you should try if you want to add more cozy memories to the fabulous sunset experience!!
- Other note-worthy temples in the region are the Twin Burmese-style temples Wat Chong Klang and Wat Chong Kham. Situated close to the city, these temples are located in front of a Chong Kham lake and are conveniently close to the city center.
- Another lake that you should visit is Lake Jong Kum; it is a small lake surrounded on all sides by a pristine public park and a food market where the travelers can enjoy a fresh meal.
Located on the southern side of Mae Hong Son province, Mae Sariang is well worth a visit especially because of the Riverside Mae Sam Laeb! This regional market town and trading center, despite being small, offers enough for the travelers who visit this place as part of the loop.
Things to do in Mae Sariang
- First and the foremost thing that you should visit in Mae Sariang is the Wat Chomchaeng. Make sure you dress properly for the visit – wear something which covers your shoulders and knees. The stairs which go up towards the temple offers splendid views of the town – something that you will fall in love with!
- Mae Sariang's markets are great! So make time for a stroll through its many daily markets and if you are lucky you will also be able to experience a celebration while you are visiting. Located on the border of Myanmar, the area's Karen Lahwi tribe is a great place if you want to experience the tribal life and the culture of the long-neck women!
- Salawin National Park offers you the chance to experience river rafting and trekking, so if you have the time, do explore the park; it also allows one to have a look at some Karen tribes. And after all this activity, do try the Ching Ching Café – it is one of the finest in Mae Sariang.
On your way back to Chiang Mai, stop at places like Chom Thong, Hang Dong, and Sanpatong, and before you know it you’ll be relaxing on the banks of the Ping River again.