Car rentals at Melbourne Airport (MEL)
Arrange a cheap car rental for Melbourne Airport (MEL) from VIP Cars and hit the road within minutes after your arrive! It doesn’t matter whether you are arriving at Melbourne Airport’s Terminal 1, 2, 3 or 4, you can plan out your Australian adventure as you please, all you have to do is include a car rental to your 'to-do’ pre-trip checklist!
A car rental in Melbourne will help you explore its attractions, its splendid coastal drivers, and its exceptional CBD area – full of alleys, squares and beautiful parks – in a carefree manner! Rent a car for MEL Airport today and discover all that you want to, in the comfort you deserve!
Popular car hire deal-types:
- Long term deals: In Melbourne, you can rent a car as per the travel dates, no matter how far apart they are. Monthly, weekly, and one day rental deals are quite common in Australia.
- Last-minute rentals: Placing a car hire booking at the very last moment can prove to be really unnerving, but not with VIP Cars. Try to book at least a day in advance for access to more variety.
Car rental companies at Melbourne Airport (MEL)
The following are the suppliers which work in association with VIP Cars in providing rental deals for Melbourne Airport:
- Ace Rent-A-Car
- Alamo Rent a Car
- Apollo Rent-A-Car
- Sixt Rent-A-Car
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car
- Thrifty Car Rental
Out of these, only Europcar, Enterprise, Hertz and Thrifty have their car rental desks at Melbourne Airport, remaining partners offer 'meet and greet’ service. The rental counters are located opposite to Terminal 2, International departures and arrivals.
Car categories you can rent for Melbourne Airport (MEL)
Millions of passengers – with their unique needs and purposes – pass through Melbourne Airport into Australia every year. Keeping this fact in mind, VIPCars and its partners make sure that a variety of cars are offered for renting at MEL Airport. Here are a few car categories that you can expect to come across while booking your car rental for Melbourne Airport with us:
Economylike Toyota Yaris Automatic or Similar
Van/Minivanlike Toyota Estima or similar
SUVlike Mitsubishi Outlander or similar
Luxurylike BMW 3 Series or similar
Convertiblelike BMW 2 Series Convertible or similar
Car rental return locations near MEL Airport
With VIPCars and its suppliers, the travelers can return their car rental deals in Melbourne at the place they like, provided the location is covered by us. You can use the 'Different Drop-off location’ section on our search engine to change your drop-off location.
- Melbourne downtown
- Southern Cross Station
- Camber well
- Melbourne City
Driving in Melbourne - Tips
- They drive on the left-hand side of the road, in Australia, while the driver's seat is on the right-hand side of the vehicle.
- Have your full and valid driving license with you at all times, besides other documents like IDP and rental agreement etc.
- In suburban areas, the speed limit is 50km/h; look for the sign posts, if they say otherwise, do as they instruct. Also note that in Victoria, though the speed limit for the roads outside the city is 100 km/h, in some portions of the freeway, it is 110km/h.
- Wearing a seat belt is a compulsion in Australia since 1962. All the passengers, whether sitting in the front or the back seats, need to wear a seatbelt while in the car.
- Just like any other country, drunk driving is a big offense in Australia and the legal blood alcohol limit for Melbourne is 50 milligrams of alcohol per 100 milliliters of blood.
One way car rental from Melbourne Airport
Domestic one-ways are permitted by almost all the car rental suppliers at VIP Cars. Therefore, it would not be an issue if you want to drop-off your car somewhere else in Australia; with us you can easily arrange for a drop-off in other Australian cities like Perth, Sydney, Brisbane, Albury, Townville, and Mackay. Popular one-way from Melbourne:
Car rental Melbourne to Sydney
Distance: 878.4 km Route: National Highway M31 and M31
Car rental Melbourne to Adelaide
Distance: 726.9 km Route: Western Hwy/A8 and National Highway A8
Car rental Melbourne to Canberra
Distance: 662.7 km Route: National Highway M31 and Hume Hwy/M31
Car rental Melbourne to Gold Coast
Distance: 1,733.6 km Route: M31 and Pacific Hwy/A1
Best things to do in Melbourne Australia
If you only have a day or two and would like to explore the best of Melbourne City before heading to other cities in Australia, here are some of the things from the 'top 10 things to do in Melbourne City’ list that you should definitely do!
- Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG)
- The Melbourne Zoo
- Eureka Tower & its Observation Deck
- St. Paul’s Cathedral, Melbourne
Famous Road Trips from Melbourne
Sydney Melbourne Heritage Drive
Melbourne to Sydney Coastal Drive
The Great Alpine Road
Great Southern Touring Route