Book an affordable rental car for Sarajevo Airport today!
Exploring a whole new region according to your own preferences has never been so simpler than with a cheap car hire from Sarajevo International Airport. With a pre-booked rental car for Butmir Airport, you can straightaway start with your sightseeing trip as you arrive in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Besides giving you ample freedom to plan your route, a rental car from SJJ allows you to cover plenty of other attractions, which generally go unnoticed. Moreover, hiring a car from Butmir International is the ideal way to explore all major and minor tourism hot spots dispersed across Sarajevo. Your drive from Sarajevo Airport to city center will not take more than 20 minutes, as the city center is directly connected by M18 motorway that is nearby the airport's exit.
Which car hire suppliers we work with at Sarajevo Airport?
Working with the best car hire suppliers of Bosnia and Herzegovina, VIP Cars offers you an unmatched car rental deal for Sarajevo Airport. Our trusted network of suppliers includes names like :
- Dollar Thrifty Automotive Group
- Euro Rent a Car
Sarajevo Airport Information
Serving Sarajevo, the capital of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo International Airport, also known as Butmir Airport, is the country's main aviation hub. More than twenty leading international air carriers operate regular flights from Butmir International to various destinations across Europe and the Middle East. Whether you are in Bosnia for a romantic getaway or going to attend the widely acclaimed Sarajevo Film Festival, which happens to be one of the biggest events of Southeast Europe, a rental car from SJJ Airport is your best bet to make most of your trip. Brijesce Interchange and Stup Interchange link Sarajevo Airport to Mostar-Zenica-Sarajevo highway, also popularly known as A1.
Kurta Schorka 36, Sarajevo 71210, Bosnia and Herzegovina
- IATA Airport Code:
- ICAO Airport Code:
Which are the other car hire drop-off locations in Sarajevo other that Butmir Airport?
At VIP Cars we take a great care to ensure that you experience sheer delight after booking your SJJ Airport car rental from us. That's why we offer the following 2 rental car drop-off locations in Sarajevo, giving you an option to book one way car hire from SJJ.
- Hotel Residence Inn – Located at Skenderija 43, Sarajevo 71000, the Hotel Residence Inn is simply a home away from your home. One of the most distinguished hotel accommodations in Sarajevo, Residence Inn offers aesthetically pleasing suites and studios. Equipped with a variety of modern amenities such as kitchenettes, microwave, refrigerator, stove top, and dishwasher, each unit's layout is aimed at making your life comfortable. All suites and studios offer stunning views of the nearby hills and city. Additional facilities include free WiFi, grocery delivery facility, fitness center, and complimentary breakfast. Open as well as garage car parking is also available. Centrally located, Hotel Residence Inn makes an excellent rental car drop-off location in Sarajevo.
- Sarajevo Downtown – A lively tourist hot spot, Sarajevo Downtown is ideally located within city's heart. Home to Sarajevo City Center, a major shopping center as well as business complex, the downtown is a perfect place to relax, enjoy shopping, and savor a delicious meal at any of the restaurants. You can also find an array of popular book stores and magazine houses located nearby the City Center complex. The downtown is also well-known among tourists for sightseeing as two important landmarks, the Monument of Multiculturalism and the Serb Orthodox Church, are within its boundaries. Undoubtedly, Sarajevo Downtown is an important rental car drop-off location in Sarajevo.
Ready to explore Sarajevo in SJJ Airport car hire?
The capital of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo is an eclectic mix of history and cosmopolitanism. Retaining the remnants of the Ottoman Turks and Byzantines, the place has become an incredible melting pot of various cultures that have been part of it at some time in its history. As Sarajevo is surrounded by paradisaical natural locations, there are plenty of picturesque landscapes that one can cover in SJJ Airport car hire. A resilient city that rose from an impeding annihilation, Sarajevo is now full of welcoming tourism hubs. Top attractions in Sarajevo include:
- Svrzo's House
- Sarajevo Tunnel
- Gallery 11/07/95
- Basccarsija Cultural Center
- National Museum of Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Museum of Crimes Against Humanity & Genocide 1992-1995
Experience thrilling nightlife in Sarajevo
Known for its vibrant nightlife, Sarajevo is replete with popular nightclubs and bars, where you can see friendly Bosnians drinking beers, cocktails, coffee, juices, wine, and locally made plum brandies. Keep in mind that Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays are the best days to experience a delightful nightlife experience in Sarajevo. Check out the list of Sarajevo's top rated destinations of after dark:
- Zlatna Ribica - Kaptol 5, Sarajevo 710000
- Monument - Strossmayerova 3, Sarajevo 71000
- Kino Bosna - Alipašina 19, Sarajevo 71000
- City Pub - Hadžiristića bb, Sarajevo 71000
- The Brew Pub - Kranjčevićeva 18, Sarajevo 71000
- Pink Houdini - Branilaca Sarajeva 31, Sarajevo 71000
Looking for information on popular day trips from Sarajevo?
Despite its moderate geographic expanse, Sarajevo is undeniably one of the best destinations that promises a genuine European experience. The capital city of Bosnia and Herzegovina is unique in terms of its seamless blending of eastern and western cultures. But, don't forget the amazing surroundings that you can cover in your SJJ car hire, while making Sarajevo as your base camp. Following are the topmost day trip destinations popular among tourists.
Sarajevo – Visegrad2 km/1 mile via via Obala Kulina bana
Though a small town, Visegrad tops the charts in tourists' itinerary for Sarajevo. The town's prominence to glory is directly attributed to its magnificent Mehmed Pasa Sokolovic Bridge, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Settled over the banks of the River Drina, Visegrad is solely notable for its iconic bridge, a true architectural masterpiece, built by Mimar Sinan in 1577. Measuring 180 meters in length and comprising of eleven stone arches, the bridge was commissioned by Grand Vizier Mehmed Pasa Sokolovic. Initially gone unnoticed, the Visegrad Bridge garnered wider public attention following publication of a novel 'The Bridge On The Drina', written by Ivo Andric, a prolific Yugoslavian author.
Sarajevo – Travnik91 km/57 miles via A1/E73/M17/M5 & M5
An old capital city as well as a major military center of the erstwhile Ottoman Empire, Travnik remains a truly oriental city of Bosnia and Herzegovina. As the place used to be the home of several important viziers, the place reflects plenty of Ottoman influence. A worth considering day trip option from Sarajevo, Travnik is nestled in the River Lasva valley. The city's enchanting architectural heritage that includes the 15th century Stari Grad Castle, 19th century Haji Alibery Mosque, and 18th century clock towers, to name a few, will keep you spellbound. Travnik is also popular for its delectable local cuisine, which is readily available at Plavna Voda District, just situated beneath the Stari Grad Castle.
Sarajevo – Lukomir82 km/51 miles via R442a
Nowhere else the remoteness looks so charming as it's in Lukomir. A beautiful village settled on a high-altitude mountain toward Sarajevo's southwest, Lukomir resplendently showcases the authentic Bosnian culture. You will come across uniquely built stone houses covered with roof tiles made of cherry-wood. An isolated village and a place that may look like stuck in some sort of a time warp to most of the tourists, Lukomir takes pride in preserving its centuries old tradition as a mark of respect to its ancestors. You can find various sort of sheep products as the local population is of predominantly shepherd community. Lukomir is also a perfect place to enjoy hiking trips along the Peruce Waterfall and Rakitnica Canyon.
Sarajevo – Konjic61 km/38 miles via A1 and E73/M17
One of the oldest human settlements of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Konjic's existence dates back to 4,000 years. Settled on the banks of the River Neretva, Konjic is situated between Mostar and Sarajevo. Day trip to Konjic is strongly recommended due to its indescribable wealth of natural beauty. Located nearby Prenj Mountain, the beautiful town of Konjic is also home to the Kamena Cuprija, a stone bridge. Constructed by the Ottomans in 1682 and again refurbished in 2009, Kamena Cuprija is an important landmark of Konjic. You can also plan further and drive toward Lake Boracko, a glacier lake destination famous for barbecues and picnic spots.
Sarajevo Airport car hire tips
- You need to be 21-year-old, along with 1 year of driving experience, in order to drive in Sarajevo. Drivers below 25 years of age may be subject to young driver surcharge, in addition to regular car hire cost.
- Don't forget to carry your valid driving license, credit card, and one additional identity proof, before you board a flight for Sarajevo Airport.
- Note that you are legally required to make use of winter equipment, including snow tires and snow chains, in your SJJ rental car if you plan to travel between 15 November until 15 April.
- Check with your SJJ rental car supplier concerned if you want to drive to Kosovo or Dubrovnik in Croatia, as terms and conditions for cross-border travel from Bosnia and Herzegovina vary from supplier to supplier.