Book a low-cost rental car online for O. R. Tambo International Airport today!
Hiring a car for O. R. Tambo International Airport online lets you make your way into the stunning City of Johannesburg right after you land at the airport. Booking a rental car in advance gives you the benefit of saving both time and money - hiring a car early gives you big discounts and you don’t have to wait in long queues to rent a car on your arrival at the airport. So, choose the easier option and travel within as well as outside the city on your own pace and time by booking a JNB Airport car hire with VIP Cars.
Process to hire a car for O. R. Tambo International Airport (JNB)
Rent a car for Johannesburg Airport in just a few minutes with the help of our user-friendly booking engine that facilitates every step of your booking process. The booking engine on our website has three main steps -
Look for the list of rental cars available at the O. R. Tambo International Airport on the dates of your visit to Johannesburg.
Narrow down your search by using the filters available and got through the deals by various rental car suppliers to choose the one that fits you best.
Seal the deal for your preferred rental car by filling in your personal details and paying a small booking amount online.
Driving Tips for Johannesburg, South Africa
Driving in a different city or country requires a driver to get a little familiar with the prevalent driving rules and habits. Here are some important rules and helpful tips for you to remember while driving your rental car in Johannesburg.
- Vehicles are driven on the left side of the road.
- Speed limits - Built-up roads: 60 km/h,
Open / rural roads: 100 km/h
Highways / freeways: 120 km/h
- The permitted alcohol level while driving is 0.05%-
- All necessary car rental documents must be carried at all times.
Our rental car companies at the O. R. Tambo International Airport
VIP Cars has won the trust of its customers by partnering with the most trusted global car hire suppliers that offer fuel efficient rental cars at Johannesburg Airport. While Bidvest, Europcar, First Car Rental, Hertz, Select Car Hire, Tempest Car Hire, and Thrifty Car Rental operate from Kempton Park at JNB Airport, Woodford has its service desk at the JNB Airport's Car Rental Terminal.
Emergency numbers in South Africa
- Police / Nationwide Emergency 10111
- Cell Phone Emergency 112
- Ambulance 10177
O. R. Tambo International Airport (JNB) Information
O. R. Tambo International Airport is located in Ekurhuleni near Johannesburg and was named after Oliver Reginald Tambo, a former South African politician. This is the main and the busiest airport in South Africa and handles 20 million passengers on average annually.
The airport has two runways, two main terminals that are further divided into separate departures and arrivals terminals. The car rental space at O. R. Tambo International Airport is located in the multi-storey parkade situated opposite to the domestic terminal.
|Address:||O. R. Tambo International Airport, 1 Jones Rd, Kempton Park, Johannesburg, 1632, South Africa|
O. R. Tambo International Airport (JNB) Facilities
- Short-term and long-term parking spaces for 17,500 vehicles and a free shuttle service between parking spaces and terminals.
- 24-hour medical clinic, first aid services and pharmacies in both terminals.
- Banks, currency exchange desks and ATMs are available in both terminals.
- Meeting and conference facilities in the several business lounges.
- Showers, massage services, luggage lockers and dedicated smoking zone.
Shopping at Johannesburg O. R. Tambo Airport
While the airport consists of six passenger terminals, these are largely divided into three main areas – the international terminals, transit terminals, and domestic terminals. The entire floor space of passenger terminals is home to a number of retail outlets selling a wide range of products. Most popular shopping outlets include the following names.
A famous merchandise store that offers a variety of clothes, fashion accessories, specialty foods, and gifts.
An exclusive store known for its huge collection of electronic products, stationery goods, and gaming consoles.
The high-end luxury jewelry store features a fine collection of diamonds, gems, and a variety of premium watches.
The Body Shop
The retail outlet is known for its huge assortment of exotic fragrances, cosmetic products, and wellness solutions.
Big Five Duty-Free
The duty-free store offers a multitude of options for cosmetic products, South African wines, and other merchandise.
The world-famous French clothing retail chain is known for its collection of polo shirts, leather goods, and accessories.
Dining at Johannesburg O. R. Tambo Airport
Whether you're looking for a small snack or a big fat meal, Johannesburg Airport offers plenty of dining options. Check out the names of some leading restaurants that offer fresh food at O. R. Tambo International.
As the name suggests, the Ocean Basket is famous for its variety of seafood, sushi, and other platters.
Piece A Pizza
The restaurant is known for its authentic Italian pizza, pasta, and other snacks, which are prepared fresh as you wait.
The Taste of Africa
Experience a rich variety of African dishes that are served hot, along with the complementing drinks and desserts.
The cafe offers a variety of hot and cold beverages, fresh cakes, pastries, and a range of other snack foods.
The African-Portuguese restaurant chain is popular for its grilled chicken, spicy chilly sauce, and other snacks.
The well-known fast-food joint is known for its selection of burgers, grilled snacks, crisp fries, and beverages.
Lounges at Johannesburg O. R. Tambo Airport
Regardless of the time of your flight, you'll find a decent lounge equipped with all the latest passenger amenities. Given below are the lounges that you may access after procuring a lounge pass beforehand.
South African Airways Lounge
British Airways Slow Lounge
Bidvest Domestic Lounge
Bidvest Sky Lounge
Menzies Mashonza Lounge
British Airways Lounge
Bidvest Premier Lounge
Menzies Shongololo Lounge
SAA Arrival Lounge
SAA Boabab Lounge
SAA Cycad Lounge
Air France Lounge
Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse
Top attractions in Johannesburg
A city whose every corner tells a tale of resilience, Johannesburg ranks among Africa's most progressive metropolitans. Leaving behind the stigma of its past decay and rampant racism, the Johannesburg of today is a rapidly evolving urban destination full of new age entertainment hubs. A friendly tourist city with so many places to explore, you'll find Johannesburg an incredibly welcoming place. Check out the list of most visited tourist destinations in Johannesburg:
Gold Reef CityNorthern Pkwy & Data Cres, Ormonde 99-Ir, Johannesburg, 2159, South Africa
- Built over a now defunct gold mine, the Gold Reef City is a famous amusement park. Imitating the glorious gold rush of 1886, the amusement park successfully takes you back in time as everything around you, including the staff members who don period dresses, reflects trends of 1880s. Besides enjoying several popular rides, you can visit a museum located inside the park. Aimed at imparting knowledge of gold mining, the museum showcases different stages of mining, right from ore's extraction to solidifying of gold.
Cradle of HumankindKrugersdorp North, South Africa
- A UNESCO World Heritage Site located about 50 km/31 miles northwest of Johannesburg, the Cradle of Humankind covers a massive 180 sq mi. Also known as Fossil Hominid Sites of South Africa, the place is home to an intricate web of limestone caves and the Sterkfontein Caves, where in 1947, Broom and Robinson found a 2.5-million-year-old fossil. You can also drive a little further to the 3-million-year-old Rising Star Cave system, where excavation efforts for fossils are still on since 2013.
Apartheid MuseumNorthern Park Way and Gold Reef Rd, Johannesburg, 2001, South Africa
- A popular tourist destination, the Apartheid Museum is situated just 8 km/5 miles from the city center. The place continues to rank among Johannesburg's most visited places since its opening in 2001. Incorporating a unique set of aids such as, videos, audios, texts, and images, the museum showcases painful rise and dramatic fall of South Africa's era of oppression. Apartheid Museum is also notable for acknowledging the contribution of people who exhibited extraordinary determination to pursue the goal of country's democratization.
Lion ParkR512, Lanseria Rd, Broederstroom, 0240, South Africa
- Situated about 57 km/35 miles northwest of Johannesburg, the Lion & Safari Park covers almost 600 acres. A famous wildlife enclosure for big cats and other predators, the park is home to more than eighty lions, South African cheetah, wild dogs, jackals, hyenas, and a variety of antelopes. While the entry to the park is free, the attractions are chargeable. Notable tours include – Lion & Wild Dog Tour, Safari Tour, Lion Walk, Cheetah Interaction, Photographic Tour, Alex Tour, Cheetah Walk, and Giraffe Feeding.
Constitution Hill11 Kotze St, Johannesburg, 2017, South Africa
- Another very important tourist site of Johannesburg, the Constitution Hill tells an inspiring story of country's hardships and resplendent success. A perfect place for those willing to learn about evolution of South Africa's legal framework, the historic place was earlier used as a prison. Notable attractions include – the Old Fort, Eternal Flame, Prison Number 4, Isolation Cells, Women's Gaol Complex, and a special museum section featuring Mandela Cell, where former South African President Nelson Mandela was imprisoned.
Frequently Asked Questions about renting a car for O. R. Tambo International Airport
Normally, the inclusions in a car rental deal vary from supplier to supplier, but the usual standard services include - collision damage waiver, theft waiver, third party liability insurance, airport surcharge, unlimited mileage, taxes and fees.
At the time of pickup, you must carry the car rental confirmation voucher, a credit card in the name of the designated driver, a valid driver’s license and an identity proof, preferably passport. If there is a requirement for any extra documents, the supplier will inform you beforehand.
Crossing the country border in your O. R. Tambo International Airport car rental is usually possible but depends on the supplier you have rented the car from. Any extra charges and documents, if applicable, will be mentioned by the supplier in the car rental voucher at the time of the booking.
Yes. if you have not collected your rental car yet at the O. R. Tambo International Airport, you can extend your rental duration under the 'Manage Booking’ section on our website. If you have already collected your vehicle and want to keep it for some extra days, it should be confirmed with the supplier well in time.
If you get involved in an accident, it is important that you first contact the local police and file a report, which has to be submitted to the supplier at the time of return of the rental car. The supplier should also be contacted and informed about the accident within 24 hours of the incident with the details of the damage.
Usually the suppliers keep track of your flights if you provide the information at the time of the booking, but it is your duty to inform the supplier about the delay nonetheless. The supplier concerned should be contacted timely in order to arrange for an out-of-hour service for the customer.
We offer various add-ons for your rental car to make your trip more comfortable like navigation systems, child seats, booster seats, additional drivers and more. These add-ons are available at a small surcharge and can be added at the time of online booking or at the rental desk at the airport.