Reserve a cheap car rental in Montenegro
|Under 21 car rental in Montenegro:||Available|
|Minimum car hire duration:||1 day|
Rent a car in Montenegro and explore this jewel of the Adriatic in total freedom; Montenegro is a country in Southeast Europe and was a part of Yugoslavia before declaring independence in 1996. Its name means Black Mountain because of the stunning mountain ranges that dot its terrain & are amongst the wildest and most rugged in the whole of Europe. Dramatic scenery is a major draw to this small country. Coupled with the mountains is a glorious sandy coast, and there are also areas of limestone karst formations.
A popular attraction is the Gulf of Kotor, where a well-preserved beautiful medieval city sits at the water's edge, with a breath-taking mountain backdrop. Budva is another beautiful town on the water and the old town of Ulcinj is perched high on top of the mountain, looking out over the shores. Skadar Lake is the country's biggest lake and picnics are popular around the edges. VIP Cars provide excellent car rental packages to help you explore the best of Montenegro's cities, mountains, and beaches. Call us now to book your rental!
Renting a car in Montenegro - Requirements & useful information
- To rent a car in Montenegro, the drivers need a valid and full driver’s license, a valid credit card and identification. For international tourists, the preferred identification would be the passport. Temporary or cancelled driving licenses are usually not entertained.
- In case your license is not in Roman alphabet, make sure that you have your international drivers permit (IDP) or the official translation of your driver’s license. Though IDP is not compulsory in Montenegro, do bring it along if the supplier has listed it as one of the mandatory document.
- To rent a car in Montenegro, a driver needs to be at least 21 years old, however this is just a generalization, and the minimum age requirement may vary from supplier to suppliers depending on the car-type being requested. Some suppliers also offer drivers under 21 to rent, but in such cases they charge a 'young driver surcharge’.
- Parking in Montenegro is paid but is really cheap. At the time of car rental return, make sure that you are dropping the car at the designated location with the amount of fuel specified in the car hire voucher.
Book from the best car rental companies in Montenegro
With VIP Cars and partners, you can rent a suitable car for exploring Montenegro and its many attractions at your own pace and time. Our car rental partners offer a big fleet of cars with various car-types for choice, available a range of prices. In addition to this our partners also cover a big network of locations where you can request pick up and drop off, allowing you the option of one-way rental. They also offer various inclusions and add-ons with the rental deals to make it easier for the travelers to drive in a foreign company without any hassles.
The following are the car rental agencies we work with in Montenegro:
Car rental return and pick up locations in Montenegro
Our car rental partners have their offices all over the country at all major city and airport locations. It is because of this arrangement that they are able to offer domestic one-way and allows you to request the car rental return at a location other than the pickup location. Cross-border trips or international one-way can also be requested, call us for more information.
The following are the car rental locations our suppliers cover, which can be requested as the pick or the drop-off:
- Budva (All Areas)
- Cetinje (All Areas)
- Podgorica Airport
- Podgorica Train Station
- Risan (All Areas)
- Porto Montenegro
- Tivat (All Areas)
- Tivat Airport
Driving rules in Montenegro
Here are a few driving rules that you can keep in mind while moving about Montenegro in your car hire:
- Motorists drive on the right-hand side of the road
- Drivers keep the car headlights at low beams during the day
- Wearing seatbelts is mandatory; both the drivers as well as the passengers should wear seat belts on all time when on the road.
- Using a mobile while driving is illegal; however, people can call or return calls if they have proper handset devices.
- On the red light, taking a right turn is not permitted unless otherwise instructed.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you rent a car in Dubrovnik/Croatia and drive to Montenegro or vice versa?
You can rent a car in Dubrovnik or somewhere else in Croatia with us and can drive to Montenegro or vice versa. Cross-border car rental option is available with many of our partner companies and they charge a fee for it. Read the car rental deal-specific-T&Cs and if cross border to Croatia is allowed confirm it with the supplier or call us and we will confirm it for you. Also note that you will also have to confirm the same at the rental desk at the time of pickup.
Can I rent in Montenegro with Schengen visa?
Yes, you can rent a car in Montenegro with Schengen visa as our suppliers offer both short-term and long-term car rentals. The maximum that a traveler can stay in Montenegro with a Schengen visa is 30 days, monthly rentals are easily available but if you want you can also rent a car for a day too. Call us and we will confirm it for you with the supplier; however note that with us you can’t rent an hourly car rental, whether you want a car for a few hours or a day, you will have to pay for the full day.
Can I rent a car in Montenegro without a passport?
Possible, if you are a local, but even in that case you will have to show your valid identity proof. For international tourists who are planning to enter the country through Montenegro airport, for them a passport is the essential documents needed for the successful car hire pick up.
How much to rent a car in Montenegro?
The cost of renting a car in Montenegro depends on the following factors:
- The time of the year when you are visiting: If you are looking for warm weather, the best time to visit Montenegro is from June to August. This is the peak season, and because of higher demand, renting a car will be comparatively expensive; rent a car as much in advance as possible for bigger savings.
- The car-type you are renting: Different car types are offered at different prices. Economy, mini, and standard cars are the cheapest to rent, while others like luxury, convertibles and minivans.
- Your age, extras and other paid services: The per-day price of your car might increase if you are renting extras or services like GPS and one-way respectively. Being an under-25-year-old also adds to the cost as suppliers charge a young driver fee for their lack of driving experience.